Q1) Does Spark Shipping build product categories in your shopping cart?
Spark Shipping does not build category information in your store. This is by design. The feedback we collected from most of our users shows us that they do not want us setting category information.
- Some vendors have counter-intuitive taxonomy structures and customers do not want that imported
- Some vendors have sub-categories that are 5 levels deep and this would not be good to pass on to our end users
- Our customers are most successful when they design their own taxonomy structure that makes sense to them, their business as well as their SEO efforts.
This is why we recommend that items are pushed slowly and methodically so that these adjustments can be made as you go.
Q2) Does Spark Shipping assign products to categories in your shopping cart?
As of May, 2021 we have changed logic that will accommodate this if you are using Big Commerce, Shopify or WooCommerce. Any other channels are not supported just yet, and categories must be assigned by the customer in their shopping cart.
Yes, only if you are running BigCommerce, Shopify or WooCommerce.
To assign products to a category that's already in your store, follow these steps:
- Go to your Sites menu
- Click on Credentials
- Click Test Connection; this will refresh your site menu options so you can see the new feature area
- Click on Default Product Options
- Click the dropdown menu of the category that you want to assign to any items pushed from your vendor; this category will be assigned to those items in your shopping cart; these categories are reading from your shopping cart main categories that you have defined
- Click the Update Default Product Options button to save your selections
Important: Remember to assign a category each time BEFORE you start pushing listings to your store.
🎥See the demo video on how to do this here: